Sunday, December 20, 2009

Creamed Mushroom and Artichoke Pasta

Dear Macy's Department Store:
It's not you, it's me. We've had a special 5 weeks together. I really like my new wardrobe that was purchased over 50% off with all the sales and my employee discount. But I need some space to focus on myself and have a little more "me" time. So, it's time to say goodbye. I hope you find happiness with another seasonal employee soon.
~Ali

Sorry for the serious drought of posts this month. As you can tell, my free time has been non-existent. When I have worked my day job, then gone to Macy's for a closing shift, I've been packing 2 lunches (note: leftover Green and Lean Loaf on wheat bread with ketchup is excellent!). It's certainly a healthy way to eat, but I miss cooking and hot food!

Hot, comforting, tasty food accompanied by a glass of red wine is exactly what I made tonight. And it was good, like lick your plate good (of course I would NEVER do that, and even if I did I wouldn't admit it). The recipe contains cream, butter, and cheese so I'm sure the calorie and fat count is higher than the normal recipe on this blog....however (!) everything is OK in moderation and with a big pile of greens on the side this is a great dinner.


Smitten Kitchen came through again with a killer recipe and I tried to copy it with just a few tweaks. Here is how I did it.


Creamed Mushroom and Artichoke Pasta
Olive oil and butter
3 large shallots, diced
1 package crimini mushrooms, chopped fine
1/2 cup Marsala wine
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup cream
1 can artichokes, drained and chopped
2-3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
1/2 lb whole wheat pasta

Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil and a pat of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped shallot and cook until soft, 2-5 minutes. Add mushrooms and 1 tsp salt and cook until moisture evaporates. Add Marsala wine and cook until moisture evaporates. (Cook your pasta to al dente in the meantime).

Add cooked pasta to skillet, add artichokes, parmesan cheese, cream, balsamic vinegar and a few grinds of pepper. Cook until heated through - sauce will thicken upon standing.

Serve with a field green salad and red wine.

2 comments:

  1. Love the post and the letter...I am sure you will be missed at Macy's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOOOOO HOOOOOO! WELCOME BACK!!!!

    XOXO!

    ReplyDelete