Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Homemade Barbecue Sauce

Yesterday I had the most fabulous two-hour lunch with the Jones girls and Angela at the French Meadow. We shared a crisp bottle of Sauvignon Blanc in the middle of a Monday afternoon and ate some delicious food. Libby ordered the BBQ Tempeh Wrap and it looked so good, I knew I wanted to try making it myself.

So I invited Alicia over for dinner tonight so I could experiment (she's always such a willing guinea pig!). I found a great homemade barbecue sauce recipe from the Smitten Kitchen (who originally got it from the Barefoot Contessa). The recipe makes SIX CUPS of sauce, which I thought was ridiculous so I only made 1/4 of a recipe.

Then I wanted to put in some yummy tempeh but can you believe that Kowalski's doesn't have tempeh? Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. So we had grilled chicken instead.


Also in the wrap: cooked quinoa, sliced red onion, cheddar cheese, fresh spinach, and pepperoncinis. All the same things on the French Meadow version (except they use brown rice instead of quinoa). On the side, sweet potatoes cut into matchsticks and roasted at 500 degrees in the oven.

It tasted like bar food or fast food, but was totally healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment