Monday, June 7, 2010

Tofu McNuggets

I've really been enjoying all the meal ideas and pictures on the fabulous Food Snob blog. Catherine talks about the cookbooks Veganomicon and Vegan with a Vengeance all the time so I checked them out from the library last week. I've been looking for new ways to use tofu and tempeh and these books are jam packed with ideas.

The first recipe that jumped out at me was the Chile-Cornmeal Crusted Tofu from Veganomicon and I contemplated making it this weekend. Then I saw Catherine post the same recipe and she liked it so it shot straight to the top of my recipe to-do list.

I adapted the recipe a bit (by bumping up the spices and baking instead of frying) and I cut the tofu into chunks so I could throw them on top of a salad. Honestly, I was just trying to use up stuff from my fridge. I baked the crusted tofu cubes and they tasted like....Chicken McNuggets! Really!!! Or at least what I remember Chicken McNuggets tasting like.

I put my nuggets on top of a salad of broccoli slaw, grape tomatoes, sliced scallions, and chopped cilantro. The dressing was hot chili oil, olive oil, lime juice, 1 clove minced garlic, salt and pepper, and a drizzle of honey. It was spicy, crunchy, and delicious.


However, these nuggets would also be fabulous with just some ketchup for dipping ala Mickey D’s (only a helluva lot better for you!).

Tofu McNuggets (adapted loosely from Veganomicon)

Super firm tofu, cut into chunks

1 cup warm water

2 Tbsp cornstarch

1 cup cornmeal

3 Tbsp chili powder

2 tsp cumin

½ tsp cayenne (or more if you can handle it!)

2 tsp salt

Zest of 1 lime


Mix water and cornstarch in a bowl.

Mix cornmeal and spices on a large plate.


Dip tofu cubes into cornstarch mixture, then into cornmeal mixture to coat. Place coated tofu on a parchment lined baking sheet. Spray or drizzle with olive oil to coat. Bake 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown and crispy (you could also pan fry in oil if you are feeling decadent).


ONE YEAR AGO: Roasted Tomato, Mushroom, and Goat Cheese Sandwich


2 comments:

  1. I'm fabulous? Wow! Thanks!

    I just made that tofu again for dinner last night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine IS fabulous!! As are the two cookbooks you mentioned. I love, love, love them.

    ReplyDelete