Friday, June 11, 2010

Mini Frittatas

Remember those commercials for the "Incredible, Edible, Egg"? I do, and that slogan runs through my mind each time I crack one of those babies open.

I love eggs so much and I eat them more often for dinner than for breakfast. I have blogged several times about frittatas because they're a great way to use eggs paired with your favorite veggies. But maybe you want a more individual way to enjoy frittatas for groups who have different likes and dislikes? Maybe you need a hand held breakfast on the go? Maybe you have cute flower shaped muffin tins? If any of the above apply to you, this is the method for should use!

I'm having some house guests this weekend and it's supposed to be hot. That means, in my house, no oven or any unnecessary heat sources can be utilized. So I baked these cuties up in advance for easy nuking (or enjoyment at room temperature!) on Sunday morning.


The method for Mini-Frittatas is so simple and can be varied a million different ways. In fact, I think it would be so fun to have a variety of meat and veggies available at a brunch and let people make their own Mini Frittatas! If you can chop, dump, and pour, you can make Mini Frittatas.

I browned up some breakfast sausage (that's a whole other post in itself - gross!) and paired it with spinach and mozzarella for my guests. The inspiration was my friend Colin's favorite pizza - sausage and mozzarella (don't worry Colin, I made extra sausage and I'll make you a batch of these on Sunday night!). And I also made a meatless batch in the flower petal tin for the veg-heads.


If I had some, I would have added a spoonful of frozen hashbrowns in here as well for an extra-filling Mini Frittata - that's how my mom makes her egg bakes and they're fantastic! Really, you can add whatever you want (the only caveat is to avoid super watery stuff like tomatoes, they don't work the best). Your Mini Frittatas will be delicious because you got to add your favorite ingredients!


Mini Frittatas (makes 12)
12 eggs
1/2 cup water or milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Herbs of your choice such as chives, rosemary, thyme, parsley, etc
Cooked meat or meat substitute (optional) such as bacon, sausage, pancetta, etc
Cooked or raw veggies such as onion, mushroom, spinach, zucchini, fresh peas (!), etc
Frozen hash browns or cooked potatoes (optional)
Cheese of your liking, shredded or crumbled

Grease your muffin tins and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Crack eggs into large bowl. Add water, salt, pepper, and herbs. Whisk vigorously to combine.

Begin layering your ingredients in the muffin tins: potatoes on bottom, then meat, then veggies.

Pour egg mixture over your potatoes, meat, and veggies until about 1/4 inch remains on top. Sprinkle shredded or crumbled cheese on top.

Bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes.

Variations:
There are a million ways to enjoy Mini Frittatas! Here are a few I thought of off the top of my head!

Italian - sun dried tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella
Greek - spinach, kalamata olives, oregano, feta
Spanish - roasted red pepper, parsley, paprika, manchego
Tex-Mex - black beans, veggie chorizo, raw red bell pepper, pepper jack
Fancy - smoked salmon, chives, cream cheese
My Fave - sauteed mushrooms and onions, green veggie in season (asparagus, peas, zucchini), thyme, and goat cheese


1 comment:

  1. Love the smaller portions. Just made a killer asparagus & smoked trout frittata from Cooking Light and eager to try more.

    ReplyDelete