Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Green Bean and Tuna Salad

I recently bought some gorgeous green beans at my local grocery store. I wanted to pair them with some type of protein for a summer salad, and in the end I picked canned tuna. Two very plain ingredients have been completely elevated into a zippy, tangy, bright, healthy salad.

I threw the blanched beans and drained tuna together with some diced red onion, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. After a taste, I couldn't believe how bland it was. Something was missing.....inspiration struck and I threw in a handful of chopped kalamata olives. That one ingredient transformed the salad from something boring to something worthy of entree status!


It didn't hit me until I was almost ready to eat it that it's almost a Nicoise salad, minus the hard boiled egg and potato. Well, I thought, why not? So I added a hard-boiled egg on the side. Very satisfying dinner with a piece of grilled bread and glass of white wine.


Green Bean and Tuna Salad
1/4 red onion, diced
1 can tuna, drained
1 cup green beans, blanched and cut
1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
splash of Tbsp red wine vinegar
drizzle of olive oil
salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment