Sunday, June 14, 2009

Salsa Soup with Poached Egg

I love being able to make a healthy meal - something entirely new and different - out of leftovers in my fridge and pantry. It makes me very proud of myself because it's recycling in the greatest way and I don't waste anything.

I had some leftover homemade fresh salsa (chopped tomato, jalapeno, red onion, lime juice, cilantro) in the fridge that I'd made to go with quesadillas last week. When the tortillas ran out, I decided I couldn't buy any more of them because I eat them way too often with lots of cheese. So I needed a way to use up this salsa.

I threw it in a pan with a can of drained black beans, spices, and some bloody mary mix. Meanwhile, I poached an egg (now that I think of it, I probably could have poached the egg right in the soup) and grilled a piece of bread.

I topped the whole thing with salt, pepper, a squeeze from a wedge of lime, and chopped cilantro. If I hadn't made it myself, I would never have known it was originally leftovers!



Salsa Soup
Fresh salsa (tomatoes, jalapenos, red onion, lime juice, cilantro)
Black beans
Bloody mary mix
Cumin
Chili powder

Mix all together in a saucepan over medium heat. When heated through, scoop into a bowl, top with a poached egg, salt and pepper, lime juice, and chopped cilantro. Serve with grilled bread.

1 comment:

  1. hhhhhmmmm.... gross :) gota say this is the first one I am going to let u rock all day long doll but I am not touching w/ a ten foot pole! ;)!!!!
    XOXOXOXO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete