Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pear and Blue Cheese Pizza

When I was at the Seward Co-op last weekend, they had samples of pears with blue cheese. This blue cheese is called "summertime blues" and is a seasonal blue cheese from a Faribault, MN dairy, soaked with Summit Scandia Ale for additional flavor. I am such a sucker, I totally fell for it.

I was planning on using the pear and blue cheese in a salad (as per my usual!) but today I started thinking about pizza, adding fig and caramelized onion flavors.


I started by caramelizing some thinly sliced yellow onion (over low heat with a pinch of sugar until browned - about 45 minutes). Then toasting a FlatOut sprinkled with olive oil in the oven until crispy. Top with a layer of fig jam, the onions, sliced pears, and blue cheese. Bake again until cheese is melted.


I liked all the flavors, but I think this was too sweet for me to enjoy as an entree. I would prefer using actual pizza dough if doing this again. Otherwise, using the FlatOuts this would make a great appetizer for an elegant cocktail party. The flavors went nicely with a glass of red wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment