Friday, June 3, 2011

Peanut Butter Hummus

Every now and then I get sick of myself and this blog and think it's time to pack it in. Then motivation comes from the strangest places. My awesome friend Ashley told me today over a lovely lunch that her dad made Chocomole and made everyone in the family taste it! I'm not sure it was a total home run with everyone, but I was so happy to hear about it. And it totally renewed my blogging energy.


So in the same vein as Chocomole, I present to you Peanut Butter Hummus. I wanted to merge the name like Chocomole, and like they do with trendy celebrity couples, but someone and his wife thought Peanummus sounded way too dirty for my blog (say it out loud a few times and you'll understand).


Peanut Butter Hummus is delicious. It's a lighter, fluffier, healthier version of peanut butter. You can and should bring a big bowl to work and eat with apple slices for breakfast or a snack (or both). You could fold in a handful of raisins and dip celery sticks into it. You could even eat it with a spoon like I did when the apples ran out.


Peanut Butter Hummus, adapted from Nourishing Flourishing

Recipe note: I didn't have a sweet potato on hand the first time I made this. I added it for the second batch as you can see in the photos and I didn't notice a huge improvement or change in taste or texture, so I'm listing it as optional. Be your own chef and try different variations until it's to your taste.

1 can or pint cooked or canned garbanzo beans, drained
1/3 cup peanut butter, any kind
1/4 cup cooked sweet potato or canned pumpkin, optional
up to 5-6 pitted dates (or approx 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey)
2 tsp vanilla
water, up to 1/4 cup or so

In a food processor, dump your beans, peanut butter, a bit of sweetener (3 dates or 3 Tbsp honey or maple syrup), and the vanilla. Blend. It will probably look really thick and dry.

Add water, 1 Tbsp at a time, until it's a smooth dipable consistency. Taste and add more dates or honey or maple syrup until it's sweet enough for you.

Serve with raisins, apples, celery, or anything else that sounds good.


5 comments:

  1. WOW this sounds SOOOOOO Delicious!! A big scoop of this on top of Asian noodle salad may be just perfect as well! And if I can think of a way to get it on top of a muffin I will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, that's it. It's official.
    I am buying a food processor! :) -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you won't stop blogging!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Peanummus... ;) Too funny. I'm glad you liked the idea -- your adaptations look great! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete