Friday, May 13, 2011

Chocomole

Do not immediately dismiss this recipe just because it sounds gross. Many people have done that with my green smoothie and have been proven wrong when they find out it tastes great.

Chocomole is exactly what it sounds like...chocolate guacamole. Gross, right? Actually it's the silkiest creamiest chocolatiest pudding you've ever eaten and it doesn't even contain any dairy. I'm obsessed.


I saw a recipe for Avocado Cacao Mousse on The Kitchn this week and a giant lightbulb exploded over my head because I remembered about Jason Mraz. Yeah, that Jason Mraz, the king of Lite FM stations everywhere who sings lovely little tunes that I quite enjoy. I found out he's more than just a pretty voice. This dude was a raw vegan for awhile (I think he's moved away from that now), blogs, and lives on an avocado farm in California. Cool, right?

Well, a few years ago there was a big fuss made about Jason's recipe for Chocomole, made with avocados from his backyard. At the time, I laughed it off as a weird celebrity with strange eating habits and nothing better to do with his time and millions of dollars.


Today, it's a different story. As soon as I recalled the strange thing called Chocomole, I ran right out to get my greedy little paws on a pile of avocados and whipped up a batch in about 5 minutes. It was good straight out of the food processor, but after a night in the fridge it's fantastically puddingish. Add a few toasted almonds and you've got a very healthy dessert that nobody needs to know contains avocados unless you really want to tell them.


Chocomole, adapted from Jason Mraz
Serves 2 (big portions)

4 ripe avocados
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark - it was intensely dark chocolate flavored. If you like more mild chocolate, go a bit less here, or use regular cocoa powder.)
4-6 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
1 Tbsp vanilla

In a food processor, blend your avocados. Add cocoa powder and 4 Tbsp honey or maple syrup and vanilla and blend more. Taste. If not sweet enough, add more honey/syrup 1 Tbsp at a time until it's sweet enough for you.

Garnish with berries or toasted nuts.

ONE YEAR AGO: Avocado Boats

1 comment:

  1. Holy Chocomole! This is delicious! -Kim

    ReplyDelete