Thursday, May 13, 2010

Avocado Boats

The resort I stayed at in Ixtapa 3 months ago had really great food. It wasn't fancy, but it was fresh and presented beautifully.

One of my favorite things from the lunch buffet was tuna salad stuffed into a wedge of fresh avocado. It was one of those things where I slapped my forehead and wondered why I hadn't thought of it first. They also stuffed hollowed out plum tomatoes with tuna salad. Cute, tasty, and fun.

I had planned on making this as soon as I got back from vacation. But it was cold and snowy and I forgot all about fresh avocados in my excitement over roasted veggies and such. Now, however, it's a different story.

Also, ever since watching Alton Brown's episode of Good Eats where he demonstrates his favorite lunch (Sherried Sardines on Toast), I've been all over sardines. They taste like canned tuna, only BETTER. Also, I have heard that sardines are the most sustainable fish on the planet, contain little to no mercury, and have more Omega-3's than other fish. Sardines are worth trying!

I'm still a beginner sardine-eater so I buy the boneless, skinless type of sardines. They really do flake up just like tuna and you can use sardines in place of tuna in any recipe. However, if you are still a little leery, you can put chicken salad, tuna salad, or crab salad in an avocado and have this same meal.

After you get your cute little plate of food ready to go, you just scoop out a spoonful of avocado and sherried sardines to spread on a bite of grilled bread with a glass of white wine. FABULOUS.

Avocado Boats with Sherried Sardines
1 ripe avocado, cut in half and pit removed
1 tin boneless and skinless sardines
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp dijon mustard
handful chopped parsley
1 Tbsp capers, chopped
3 Tbsp sherry vinegar (or white wine or red wine vinegar)
salt and pepper to taste

Drain sardines, flake with fork and mix with lemon zest and juice, mustard, vinegar, parsley, capers, salt and pepper. Scoop half the mixture into half an avocado.

Eat with grilled bread.


1 comment:

  1. avocadoes are so delicious . . . sometimes I eat them with nothing more than a pinch of salt!

    ReplyDelete