Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mango Avocado Salad with Grilled Shrimp

I'm on a Mexican food kick this week. The funny thing is that I no longer equate Mexican food with fried chips and excessive quantities of cheese. Mexican food CAN be healthy!

I had an extra mango leftover from a mango salsa I made the other night to go with some fish tacos. And an avocado left over from that chipotle salad.

It seemed obvious that the two should be combined for dinner tonight. I know avocado and mango taste good together, because some of my favorite sushi rolls have both in them.

So the next thought was - which type of fish/seafood should go with them? I contemplated canned tuna but wisely picked shrimp instead (insert self-congratulations here). This was really good with the crappy little frozen shrimp I had on hand, so imagine how amazing it would be with good fresh jumbo shrimp from Coastal Seafoods!!

Also, I tried it simply with lime juice and salt as a dressing and it was great. However, I had some of that chipotle salad dressing left over so I added some and this salad shot into hall of fame territory with that spicy tangy sauce.

Mango Avocado Salad with Grilled Shrimp
Romaine lettuce or other greens
1/2 mango, peeled and sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced
1 Tbsp diced red onion
shrimp
lime juice
salt and pepper to taste

Chop lettuce and top with sliced mango, avocado, and diced onion.

Lightly brush shrimp with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill on outdoor grill or grill pan (I skewered my small shrimp to make turning them easier) until done. Squirt cooked shrimp with lime juice and put skewers on top of your salad.

Squirt more lime juice over entire salad and add more salt and pepper to taste.

If you have some chipotle salad dressing on hand, add a bunch.

Enjoy with a crisp chilled white wine.


1 comment:

  1. I know - I gotta stop thinking nachos and cheese when I'm craving Mexican food. Great choice to go with the salad. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete