Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lemon Yogurt Cake

If you're looking for a classic and fail-proof dessert recipe, there are really only two people to turn to: Martha Stewart and Ina Garten (aka the Barefoot Contessa). Neither of these ladies will let you down.

My mom requested a lemon dessert for Mother's Day so I made the Barefoot Contessa's Lemon Yogurt Cake. It's a simple cake mix with lemon zest baked into a batter that's also spiked with homemade (or store bought) yogurt. Then you SOAK the freshly baked cake in a mixture of sugar and lemon juice to make it ultra moist and dense. Finally, if that wasn't enough tartness to pucker your lips for an hour, you top it with a lemon sugar glaze.

I followed the recipe exactly, just using a Bundt pan instead of loaf pan - for presentation's sake. Also, instead of pouring the soaking juice over the cake, I punched a thousand holes into the warm cake with a toothpick and used a pastry brush to apply the mixture. It worked perfectly and every drop was absorbed into the cake.

The picture is from my cell phone. But even through it is of poor quality, I think even an idiot can tell that this cake was beautiful AND delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Lemon Cake is by far my favorite cake - always has been always will be! My mother used to make a version around my birthday every year! Since her and I have now decided to only have homemade coconut cake for the rest of our lives on our birthday I will just have to find another time of year to enjoy this cake! darn ;)!! AND I bet it goes FABULOUSLY with Champagne! but really - what doesn't ;)! XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 days, my friend! We can bake lemon cakes till we drop! Can't wait to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete