Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sloppy Lentils

In general, I like to eat and post about beautiful and colorful food. But tonight I'm going to reveal some seriously ugly food. I apologize to your eyes that the visual aspect of this site is suffering so greatly right now, but your stomach will thank me if you make this super healthy and tasty sandwich! Also, I think this would be a good way to trick your kids into eating a good healthy meal since it tastes like a sloppy joe but has no bad fats or animal products.

I even tried to mitigate the ugliness of these lentils by adding onions, carrots, and red bell pepper for color. Hhhhmmmm, STILL super ugly but now even tastier with that hint of sweetness from the carrot and red pepper. Score.

To add insult to injury, this meal - in addition to being truly ugly - is also messy! But messy food is fun. I needed to eat my sandwich open-faced with a fork and it was awesome. The flavors reminded me of summer weekends eating sloppy joe's with pickles and potato chips.

For the sauce, I used a cup of homemade barbecue sauce. But my mom always just used to dump ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar into her browned hamburger and onions so you could try that if you want to I guess.

Finally, I am a huge advocate of toasty buns. Regular buns are just sad. Toasty buns are the only way to go - unless you want to get really wild and crazy. If that's the case you could serve your sloppy lentils in a pita pocket or even a tortilla. Badass!

Sloppy Lentils
1 cup dried lentils (mine were French lentils but I think you can use any color)
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced fine
1 small red bell pepper, diced fine
2 large carrots, peeled and diced fine
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup homemade barbecue sauce, or however you usually make your sloppy joe sauce

Boil lentils in 4 cups water for 30-45 minutes or until soft. Drain.

Saute onion, pepper, and carrot in olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper until soft (about 5-7 minutes).

Add cooked lentils to sauteed veggies. Add sauce. Mix and serve on toasty buns.

ONE YEAR AGO: Grilled Romaine

No comments:

Post a Comment