Sunday, March 11, 2012

Yamburgers

I notice that I talk about the weather a lot on my blog. And that's kind of lame so I've been trying to do it less. But also, it makes sorta perfect sense because I often match my meals to the weather. Hot and sunny means grilling and salads, rainy days lead to something in the oven, and snowstorms require soup.


This winter has not been at all familiar in Minneapolis. It's been like nothing I've ever experienced - so warm and very, very little snow (I've only shoveled twice). I actually shouted incredulously at a guy cleaning out his gutters "IT'S DECEMBER NINTH!" a couple months ago on my walk because it was so gorgeous outside (luckily he laughed and shouted something nice back). This weekend has been more of the same, so warm that I've walked an estimated 16 miles around 6 lakes in the last 3 days.


So with this lovely early summer, I felt like having a burger for dinner. And I wasn't joking when I told you yesterday that Beans, Greens, and 'Shrooms were versatile. I just threw some in the food processor with leftover sweet potatoes and wild rice (and some extra black beans) to make these very healthy Yamburgers.


They taste spectacular and the sweet potatoes (or yams) help keep them together.  I don't know about you, but I have a hell of a time finding a good consistency in a veggie burger.  These are a cinch to form into patties and stay together very well.


Yamburgers
Serves 4

1.5 cups roasted sweet potatoes
1/2 cup cooked wild rice (or any other grain)
1/2 cup sauteed kale (or sub half cup leftover Beans, Greens, and 'Shrooms)
1/2 cup beans (or sub another half cup Beans, Greens, and 'Shrooms)
1/4 cup oats
1 tsp dried ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt

Pulse all ingredients together in a food processor then form into 4 patties.

Spray lightly with olive oil and grill 3 minutes on each side until you get nice char marks.  Serve on toasted wheat buns with sliced avocado.

ONE YEAR AGO:  Cheesy Spinach Crepes
TWO YEARS AGO:  Mushroom Blue Cheese Pizza with Wheat Crust
THREE YEARS AGO:  Chickpea Salad

2 comments:

  1. I was blessed when I found your blog...OMG~!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm struggling to adjust to this weird weather...looks like this recipe will help!!

    ReplyDelete