Sunday, March 25, 2012

Stewed Prunes

Would you be less disgusted if I called them dried plums?  Do whatever you need to do to get over any preconceived notions about prunes.  Because they are absolutely delicious and as sweet or sweeter than any candy you could buy.


I'll wait while you laugh it up.  Go ahead, I know you want to.  You are probably thinking I'm some kind of senile octogenarian sitting in my rocking chair eating prunes to cure my constipation.  And, although I quite possibly am a bit senile, the rest isn't true.  I just think they taste really good.


I almost always have some prunes on hand for snacking or satisfying my sweet tooth.  I hadn't ever stewed them, though, until I saw a pot on the stove at the Jones' house at Christmas.  Since then, I've stewed prunes several times and they turn out great every time.

I like stewed prunes best on oatmeal, but these little nuggets of nutrition are also great on greek yogurt, or even over ice cream for dessert.  If you're not afraid of a little teasing, I encourage you to give 'em a try (in moderation).


Stewed Prunes, from The Joy of Cooking
serves 6

1 10 oz canister of prunes, cut into small pieces
1/2 lemon
1 cinnamon stick (or half teaspoon ground cinnamon)
2 Tbsp honey

Put all ingredients in a medium pot.  Cover with water.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.  Prunes are done when sauce is thick and syrupy and prunes are plump.

ONE YEAR AGO:  Mocha Granita
TWO YEARS AGO:  Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
THREE YEARS AGO:  Greens and Beans Salad

1 comment:

  1. I love dried(?) prunes, and figs! I like the little seeds in the figs! :)

    ReplyDelete