Sunday, April 22, 2012

Miso Butter Green Beans

I've lived in my house for over 7 years and ever since I moved in, my refrigerator has been a noisy companion. It's small (has to be, to fit into my tiny house!), only 14.8 cubic foot capacity, but it suited my needs and kept things cold (or occasionally/randomly, frozen - I lost a lot of greens this way).  Sometimes, loud banging sounds would come from inside and I told people it was the little refrigerator man trying to get out.  I said I'd keep it until it died.


Well, it didn't die, but it was on its deathbed this week and started making a very frightening buzzing noise.  It was so loud, my brother Zack thought it was my clothes dryer buzzing.  So, I mercifully euthanized my refrigerator and now have a brand spanking new model that's quiet and efficient and clean and wonderful.


During the transfer of all my condiments (I have many), I found my tub of miso that I haven't used in a long time.  Then I thought of the delicious baked sweet potatoes with miso butter I had on my yoga vacation.  I don't have any sweet potatoes in the house, but I did have green beans (and a yellow bell pepper and carrots) that need to be used up so...presto!  Miso butter green beans were born.


Miso is a fermented soy product that's incredibly good for digestion because it contains micro-organisms, similar to yogurt.  It's got a great savory salty taste.  And vegetables like green beans, carrots, and bell pepper....c'mon, you know they're good for you, too!  A little butter just blends it all together in a delicious rich way.  And, since pretty much everything on the planet tastes better when topped with a poached egg, I went ahead and did just that.  It was awesome.


Miso Butter Green Beans
Serves 4

1 lb green beans, stems removed and washed
other veggies, optional (I used carrot and bell pepper, sliced to same size as beans)
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp white miso paste

Heat a half cup of water to a boil in a large pot.  Add green beans and a pinch of salt.  Cook for only 2-3 minutes, or until green beans are crisp-tender.

Drain out any water and return hot beans to pot and immediately add butter and miso and toss to melt it all together.  Serve with a poached egg and red chili flakes.

ONE YEAR AGO:  Saag Paneer
TWO YEARS AGO:  Seafood Lasagna
THREE YEARS AGO:  Spring Rolls and Lychee Martinis

2 comments:

  1. YUM! In a similar vein Ben made Miso Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes for me a couple of weeks ago. I CANNOT CAN NOT CANNOT tell you how satisfyingly delicious these were. you all simply MUST try them. 2 large sweet potatoes w/ 2 heaping Tablespoons of miso and 1-2 tablespoon butter. love from NYC - Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I miss you cooking for me :) Alicia

    ReplyDelete