Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Leek Toasts with Blue Cheese

Last week I was going to write a post about quitting this blog for good, but I just knew that as soon as I did that, I'd have a great idea for something to cook that I would want on the blog about.  So, I just waited.  Thanks for waiting with me.


Today I was going to make a repeater recipe (creamed leeks) but at the last minute, changed it up slightly to make it new.  I'm not sure this recipe is so exciting that it's worth reading about, but I thought it was absolutely freaking delicious so I wanted to post it.


It's simply butter-and-oil sauteed leeks (which are basically the sweetest mildly oniony things you've ever tasted) on toast with blue cheese.  I consider this the spring version of my favorite summer sandwich.  I think leeks are the best early spring vegetable!


This is a top notch entree with a big green salad, or I would not be embarrassed to serve this as a beautiful appetizer at a spring dinner party.  The flavors together are incredible - sweet, salty, creamy, crunchy, and savory.  Like with all recipes that only have a few ingredients, it's worth your time to search out the highest quality you possibly can.


Leek Toasts with Blue Cheese, adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Makes 4 toasts (2 per serving)

2 leeks, white and light green parts - cut and soaked to clean
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
Few drops lemon juice
4 slices bread (I used multigrain from Rustica)
Cheese crumbles (I used Carr Valley Billy Blue, a mixture of chevre and blue cheese - you can use blue, gorgonzola, feta, or chevre)

Preheat your broiler.

Heat your oil and butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Add sliced cleaned leeks, and season with salt and pepper.  Cook and saute over medium heat for 8-10 minutes until leeks are soft and all liquid has cooked out.  Turn off heat and add a small squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Slice your bread and brush with olive oil on both sides.  Broil until toasted on first side, then flip.  Add a large spoonful of sauteed leeks to each slice and top with cheese crumbles.

Broil 2-5 minutes until cheese is browned.  Serve hot or at room temperature.

ONE YEAR AGO:  Leek and Asparagus Bread Pudding
TWO YEARS AGO:  Fattoush Salad
THREE YEARS AGO:  Honey Mustard Chicken Salad

1 comment:

  1. Ali, you always remind me to use leeks! Sounds amazing . . .

    ReplyDelete