Sunday, August 7, 2011

Zucchini Chevre Tartine

I'd like to introduce you to my new favorite sandwich. Sandwich, this is my blog. Blog, this is my new favorite sandwich.


Even though I just met this sandwich 4 days ago, things have gotten serious very quickly. We've been together every day. I even biked to the Farmer's Market early this morning to get some special fancy local fresh chevre (goat cheese) for my sandwich.


When I dress my sandwich up in this gift, I like to call my sandwich a special pet name, Tartine, and then I feel like I should enjoy a glass of wine with my sandwich.


But under that special name and the fancy cheese, lies just two simple but quality ingredients: local in-season zucchini, and a thick slice of pumpernickel toast. I think this sandwich is The One. But I say that about all sandwiches at first.


Zucchini Chevre Tartine, how we met: A Nutritionist Eats
1 thick slice pumpernickel bread
1 medium zucchini
1-2 oz fresh goat cheese/chevre
salt, pepper, and olive oil

Grate your zucchini on a box grater and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Let sit for at least 5 minutes (the salt draws out extra water).

While your zucchini is salting, toast your bread (I used a regular pop-up toaster).

Gather all your zucchini with your bare hands and squeeze it to get the water out. Spread squeezed zucchini on your toast, really pile it all on. Top with dollops of fresh goat cheese (you can't use too much!).

Sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked black pepper, then finish with a light drizzle of olive oil. Broil until cheese browns. Eat immediately.

ONE YEAR AGO: Veggie Hummus Wrap
TWO YEARS AGO: Raw Beet Salad

4 comments: