Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Veggie Hummus Wrap

I found a package of burrito-sized flour tortillas in my freezer. They were left over from a giant pan of enchiladas I made for a big family gathering a few months ago. I pulled those babies out ASAP. Hence the burrito post earlier this week and the wrap post tonight. Tortillas are irresistible to me and wraps are fun to eat. Plus it's hot this week so these no-cook meals are important.

Also, I made my best batch of hummus ever. And I realize I'm terrible at writing recipes because the more I create things in my kitchen, the more I find I'm an instinctual cook. I keep adding pinches of this and that here and there so I can't give you an accurate recipe. This hummus had 1 pint of garbanzo beans with some of the cooking liquid, juice from 1 and 1/2 lemons plus zest, 4 big sprigs fresh thyme, tahini (1/4 cup?), salt, pepper, 2 cloves garlic, and olive oil. All mixed together in a food processor until super creamy and delicious.


I prepped a whole bunch of fresh veggies to go with my hummus and tortilla: field greens, thinly sliced yellow squash and zucchini, tomato, shredded carrots, scallions, and toasted pumpkin seeds. I ate one last night for dinner with a beer and the Twins, then wrapped up another one in tinfoil like a Chipotle burrito for lunch today.


It was a fantastic lunch - and probably cost me only pennies to make! Can you imagine how much it would be from a deli? I'm thinking $6.95! Good for your body and your wallet.


Also, another meal free from the clutches of evil cheese (Cass, I'm totally kidding! It's purely coincidental that this is cheeseless).

ONE YEAR AGO: Local Green Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment