Monday, August 9, 2010

Grilled Balsamic Veggie Sandwich

Here are some of my food obsessions right now: marinating, grilling, and hand-held foods (such as sandwiches and wraps).


Usually, I'm too much of a last-minute cook to marinate anything. And grilling used to seem like too much work. But now that I know what I'm doing, it's super easy! So tonight is a combination of all my obsessions in one yummy sandwich.


First, I marinated some veggies in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper overnight. Then I charred them up on my grill and layered them with greens and goat cheese on a ciabatta roll, which also spent a minute or two on the hot grates to toast.


Something about the combination of tangy balsamic vinegar, smoky charcoal, and creamy goat cheese makes me very, very happy. These veggies would also be great on a salad, in a wrap, or just chopped up and eaten as a summer side dish.


Grilled Balsamic Veggie Sandwich (makes 2 sandwiches)
2 portobello mushrooms, stems removed and brushed clean
1 pattypan squash, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into 4 big flat pieces
2 thick slices red onion
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper
goat cheese, softened
spring mix (or other greens like lettuce or spinach)
bread, rolls, or wraps

Combine veggies, vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in large zip top bag. Marinate 30 minutes or up to overnight. Heat grill to medium. Add mushroom and red pepper first (skin side down).

Grill 7 minutes or until pepper skin is charred. Flip and add remaining veggies. Grill another 5-7 minutes or until all veggies are cooked through. Add bread to toast for 1 minute or so.

Peel skin from red peppers.

Spread a bunch of soft goat cheese on both sides of bread. Add a layer of greens, then all your grilled veggies. Eat immediately.

ONE YEAR AGO: Mustard Dill Fish

1 comment:

  1. Ooooooooohhhhhh yum! I so wish I had access to a grill right now! That sandwich looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete