Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pesto Tofu Kebabs

Fresh basil should be a perfume scent. I'd buy a case and bathe in it. Right now this delicious-smelling herb is the best bargain at the Farmer's Market - a gigantic bundle for only a dollar. I bought two last Saturday and used most of it for a big batch of pesto.


Thinning out the pesto with some lemon juice turns it into a marinade for protein and veggies. I had super firm tofu as my protein. I used to have such trouble cooking with tofu - it would crumble and fall apart. Apparently I was buying the wrong kind because I love this Wild Wood brand. It's so dense that I can eat it raw in salads and love the flavor and texture. This recipe would also work really well with chicken or even a firm white fish like halibut.


My veggies were zucchini, pattypan squash, red onion, and yellow bell peppers. Chop everything into bite-sized pieces. Marinate, skewer, grill - easy as 1, 2, 3.

I served my kebabs over orzo. Orzo is pasta that's shaped like rice. That means it's super quick cooking, which is nice for a change!



Pesto Tofu Kebabs
1/4 cup prepared fresh pesto, homemade or store bought
juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
additional salt and pepper to taste
super firm tofu, cut into bite-sized pieces
fresh vegetables, cut into bite-sized pieces

Whisk pesto, zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper in small bowl. Put tofu and veggies into large zip-top bag and add pesto mixture. Shake bag until everything is coated with pesto. Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes (or refrigerate overnight).

Thread veggies onto skewers. Grill at medium-high heat 3-5 minutes on each side or until charred. Serve with a grain of your choice (rice, couscous, pasta, etc).

ONE YEAR AGO: Panzanella Salad

1 comment:

  1. I love that Wildwood tofu! So easy to work with.

    I'm wishing I had a grill right now!

    ReplyDelete