Saturday, August 8, 2009

Raw Beet Salad

If colorful food is healthier, I've been doing very well recently. From that big green dinner to the gazpacho, I've been consuming a freaking rainbow this week. Today's salad is no exception.

I found this recipe for a raw beet salad from Chocolate and Zucchini and was excited to use my Farmer's Market goodies in it. I added fresh dill and flat leaf parsley and topped it with crumbled goat cheese. I normally think of cooked beets as similar to potatoes (filling and kind of starchy) but raw beets are light, fresh, and crunchy. I liked it, but do miss the sweetness and depth of flavor you get from roasting or boiling beets.



It's hard to tell how vibrantly purple this salad is from my poor photography, but I can assure you that it was stunning.

I plan to use the leftovers to saute for a minute or two in some olive oil and have a warm shredded beet side dish with fish later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment