Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Grilled Vegetable Sandwich

There was a tornado today that touched down a few blocks from my house. How exciting! Thankfully nobody was hurt, but it caused lots of damage on Portland Avenue and my drive home was...interesting. Most of the streets were closed so I had several extra blocks to drive. During this extended commute, I was racking my brain for ways to use up the rest of the veggies in my fridge. These are the final veggies left over from Marney and Colin's CSA box I got last Friday. I of course didn't want to start the oven so that left grilling on my grill pan as the best option.

I cut all the veggies in planks, drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper and grilled until there were beautiful char marks on both sides. Here are the pattypan squash, zucchini, and white and orange carrots post grilling.



What to do with these beautiful veggies? My first thought was to make a sandwich so I decided to use the veggies that way. I grilled a thick slice of ciabatta, added a layer of leftover garlic scape pesto and the grilled veggies then topped with fresh mozzarella and avocado. Leave it on the grill for a few minutes with the heat turned off and some tinfoil or a lid to melt the cheese.

It was fantastic all together and it made me wonder why it's so hard to find sandwiches like this in restaurants. It's not difficult, it's not expensive, and it tastes great. It's the kind of sandwich that requires a knife and fork (therefore making it appropriate for dinner - not lunch).



On the side, I shredded up a beautiful little red cabbage that came in the CSA box and used this Bobby Flay recipe for red cabbage slaw which was a perfect companion to my grilled veggie sandwich.

Just looking at the photo of this sandwich makes me want another one right now.

1 comment: