Sunday, August 30, 2009

BLT and Corn/Zucchini Salad

I know the tomato posts are getting a bit tiresome. Really, I understand. Especially for those poor souls who don't like tomatoes. But those tasty little buggers are so yummy right now that it feels almost criminal to not gorge myself on them.

What's the best way to enjoy a late season heirloom tomato? In my opinion, it's in a BLT (bacon, lettuce, and tomato for those who live under a rock). There are many philosophies on the perfect BLT - some include avocado, others include peanut butter (it sounds weird, but it tastes delicious), and I know many people who leave out one or more of the main letters. I prefer an FBLT (fake bacon, lettuce, tomato) and have on occasion used the additions listed above.

This version has 2 layers of tomatoes - gifted to me from my friend Ang and her magic garden. Mayo on both slices of toast, a layer of red tomato, fake bacon, field greens, a layer of green zebra striped heirloom tomato, and the top piece of toast. Perfection in the summer.



And the side for this perfect summer sandwich is a completely made up salad. I had one ear of yummy sweet corn left in the fridge. I used that with some garden fresh zucchini and a couple more of those yummy heirloom tomatoes. The salad was a little bland overall so I added some salty crumbled feta cheese at the end and it was fabulous.



Corn and Zucchini Salad
1 ear sweet corn, kernels removed from cob
1 fresh zucchini, diced very finely
2 small heirloom tomatoes, diced
1 small shallot, diced finely
1 small handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
handful crumbled feta cheese

Mix all ingredients together and serve with your FBLT. Or BLT and A, or BLT and PB, or however you like your BLT.



The leftovers of this salad are going to be mixed with the last little bit of cooked quinoa I have in the fridge for a complete workday lunch for tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Besos Y Besos from Ben and Cassandra's champagne filled vacation! we are STILL dreaming about your porch and food even from afar - ok maybe with a little less luster but no less love! KISSES FROM ENGLAND WE ARE ON TO PARI!!!

    ReplyDelete