Sunday, November 29, 2009

Leftover Cranberry Sauce Oat Muffins

Not everything I make turns out perfectly. I'm just a regular person who tries recipes here and there, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. This is an example of one that didn't turn out perfectly but I liked the flavors and idea so much that I'm going to post about it anyways.

I already gave you a great idea for using your Thanksgiving leftovers, but I also get lots of leftover cranberry sauce. My grandma makes the cranberry sauce every year and lets me take home the leftovers. I usually make a KILLER salad dressing out of it (cranberry sauce, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil) which goes great with greens, feta cheese, and toasted walnuts.

This year I saw a recipe on the Serious Eats website for Cranberry Oat Muffins and I wanted to try it.


I think my downfall here was substitutions. Olive oil for vegetable oil, oat flour for regular flour, soy milk for regular milk. I'm just so impatient that I didn't go to the store to get the right ingredients and I used what I had on hand. The resulting muffins tasted great, BUT fell apart and crumbled. I got the first one out of the pan to take a picture but the rest were kind of messy.



I would love to try this recipe again with the appropriate ingredients, and I would also add some walnuts or pecans. Luckily, I was able to wrangle Grandma Verna's cranberry sauce recipe out of her so I can make my own and try this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment