Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Spicy Black Bean Tostadas

I love fall and winter food, really. But after weeks of eating lots of leftover roasted veggies and soups, my stomach was screaming for something to wake it up. I need spice and I need it now.

This post was my inspiration for my dinner. I thought black beans and feta was such an odd combination, but it really works! I did mix it up a little bit based on what ingredients I was craving (i.e. adding chipotle peppers for SPICE!).




First, I made the slaw and let it sit for a few minutes to let the flavors meld. Then I sauteed a half an onion and added a chipotle pepper and teaspoon of the adobo sauce. I added the beans and smooshed it all together to make a yummy spicy black bean mash. Put together on a corn tortilla with fresh avocado and some feta cheese...my stomach was definitely awoken!


Spicy Black Bean Tostadas
shredded cabbage or slaw mix
1 lime, juice and zest
1 leek, white parts only
cilantro, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 chipotle pepper, chopped
1 tsp adobo sauce from chipotles
1 tsp cumin
1 can black beans, drained
corn tortillas
avocado
feta cheese

Make the slaw - mix cabbage, lime juice and zest, leek, cilantro, and salt and pepper - and let it sit for 10-15 minutes to let the flavors merge together.

Saute the onion in olive oil until soft, add the chipotle pepper and sauce, cumin, beans, and salt and pepper to heat through. Mash with a fork.

Heat corn tortillas with olive oil in skillet on one side until charred, flip over to char the other side and add a smear of beans and some crumbled feta cheese. Remove from heat, add slaw and avocado.

3 comments:

  1. Yum - this looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in too! but I was sooo hoping for a picture of that pink! ;) XO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cass - I totally took your advice and I wore pink and drank the sparkles. It worked!!!

    ReplyDelete