Sunday, September 12, 2010

Zucchini Oat Bran Muffins

I have been hunting for a breakfast-type muffin recipe that's more healthy than sweet. Every recipe I saw was heavy on sugar and oil and called for very little veg. So I decided to make up my own recipe.


Now this isn't the sort of thing I normally do. Improvising on baking recipes normally spells disaster for me (exhibit A). But I used this recipe is a basic guideline and added or subtracted a little here and there to make these zucchini and oat bran muffins.


The result? Absolute perfection. I wouldn't change a thing about this made up recipe (but it will be fun to try!) because these muffins are exactly what I was craving. Not too heavy or dense, they're light and fluffy with a distinct buttery taste and mild sweetness. And best of all, a ton of healthy goodies are packed into the muffins - whole wheat flour, oat bran, zucchini, craisins, coconut, and walnuts.


I will definitely be making these again. I got one and a half dozen muffins from this batch and they freeze very well. By the time I take two out of the freezer, drive to work, and pour a cup of coffee, they are defrosted and ready to be gobbled up!


Zucchini Oat Bran Muffins, an original Ali recipe
1 stick of butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3 1/2 cups zucchini, shredded
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/4 cup oat bran
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup craisins
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl, but don't overmix. Bake at 350 degrees in greased muffin tins for 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.

Makes 18 muffins.


3 comments:

  1. LUV!!! This is the same thing I do!!! I LOVE Zucchini Muffins for bfast! Only diff is I make the Giant Muffins instead of normal size as I always need at least 2 muffins two feel full and the big guys are just well extravagant and you know me....only ingredients I swap out are thus: I add Ground Flax - delicious nutty and we all know HEALTHY Bnefits of ommegas 3s... and the best part (drum roll) instead of Craisins a HEALTHY HEALTHY amount of dark chocolate chips!! this makes them luxurious and delicious - and chocolate is close to s*x (p.s. I left out one letter so if there people under 12 they wouldn't be able to understand the innuendo) or so they say sooooo starting my day w/ a little....- well u get the picture ;)! anyhoo need to go make dinner just got home from the MARC JACOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! runway show!!!!!! (I am the luckiest girl in the world - I can check one off the bucket list!!!!) - and yes the first thing I am doing upon returning is checking this blog !!!! so u understand ur importance in the hierarchy of life yes? u then marc then dinner always mixed w/ a little BEN of course!. perfect perfect evening!!! XOXO!!! enjoy those muffins toots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog checking and champagne....(not necessarily in that order...)the two things she does when she gets home!
    -BEN

    ReplyDelete
  3. And PS to all of you reading.. don't forget to wish this fabulous lady HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete