Monday, September 6, 2010

Codzpacho

Isn't it true that things taste so much better when someone else makes it for you? Randy offered to cook up some fish for our dinner last Friday and it was one of the best meals I'd eaten in a long time. I think it was because a) I didn't cook it, and b) it was really super delicious. Plus he completely made up the recipe in his head, which always impresses me.

He asked if I had any gazpacho in my fridge. Well, duh! It's late summer in MN and tomatoes are everywhere! Of course I have gazpacho in the fridge. He asked if he could use it to go with the cod he was bringing over. The answer to that is...if anyone brings fish over to my house with the intention of cooking it for me, you can use whatever you want from my fridge.

I was in charge of salad. And, having been inspired by an email from Cassandra, tried to recreate her peach and goat cheese salad. I added red onion and sunflower seeds and a killer vinaigrette using Trader Joe's Orange Muscat Champagne vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.


Randy coated the fish in olive oil, salt, pepper, and dried dill and put it in a saute pan with some butter. Then he added the gazpacho and some lemon juice. Extra tomatoes were served on top and it had a simply amazing flavor which paired extremely well with some late summer sweet corn.


For dessert, Rogue Chocolatier Piura - a decadent locally made sweet after-diner bite.


I was so happy with this Codzpacho recipe that I made it again for my parents who were at my house last night. But I changed it and cooked the fish en papillote (which just means wrapped up and baked in the oven). The packets puff up and the fish gets steamed inside the packet. After baking at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, the fish was perfectly cooked!


I served my Codzpacho with Quick Zucchini Saute and more corn on the cob. And Carrot Cake for dessert. Plenty of vegetables in this meal!


And even though mom and dad liked the meal, I couldn't help but think that Randy's version tasted better. My recommendation to you is to print this recipe and give it to someone and ask them to make it for you.


Codzpacho en Papillote
white fish fillets
dill (fresh or dried)
gazpacho, prepared (or simply chopped tomatoes or other veggies)
lemons

Coat fish with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and dill. Place on tinfoil or parchment and top with about 1/4 cup gazpacho or chopped tomatoes. Squirt with lemon juice. Wrap packages tightly by pinching the edges all the way around. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.

Alternatively, you could melt butter in a saute pan over medium-high heat, add the seasoned fish and cook for 4-6 minutes on each side. Add gazpacho halfway through cooking. Fish is ready when it flakes easily when poked with a knife.

ONE YEAR AGO: Rainbow Rollup

No comments:

Post a Comment