Sunday, October 31, 2010

Oven Fried Fish 'N Chips

I loooooove fish and chips but I can't bring myself to order it at a restaurant very often because I know just exactly how oily and fatty it really is. Which is a rotten shame, because fish and potatoes are really good for you if you prepare them properly!


I also have a weakness for vinegar and this meal was chock full of it. I love vinegar and my pantry is currently stocked with the following: red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, malt vinegar, balsamic vinegar, pomegranate vinegar, grapefruit vinegar, orange muscat champagne vinegar, and plain old distilled white vinegar. A few of these were treats I purchased on vacation last weekend in Door County, WI at a super cute little store in Egg Harbor. I had a blast (and consumed about a loaf of bread) tasting all the different vinegars and olive oils in that store!

One of the best uses of vinegar is in salt and vinegar potatoes. Take a plain old boring potato and add vinegar and your little brother will actually exclaim, "Wow, it's crazy how much flavor that has!" I par-boiled my potatoes in white vinegar, then broiled them with oil and salt on both sides. They were fantastic and very good for you!



The fish was done simply - cod cut into bite-sized pieces and triple coated in flour, egg, and Old Bay seasoned panko breadcrumbs. Then it's just drizzled with olive oil and baked for about 8 minutes. The panko is important because it makes the baked fish crunchy enough to fool you into thinking it's been deep fried.



You could dunk your oven fried fish fingers in some homemade tartar sauce, or if you're like me with the vinegar problem, sprinkle with malt vinegar. With Salt and Vinegar Chips, it's a fabulous healthy version of an indulgent meal.


Oven Fried Salt and Vinegar Potatoes
2 russet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
distilled white vinegar, enough to cover in a pan
kosher salt
olive oil

Boil your potato slices in vinegar for 7-8 minutes or until you can pierce them with a fork. You don't want them to get too done or mushy. Let cool slightly. Line on a pan in a single layer and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Broil (or grill) until brown and toasty on each side (it took about 8 minutes on each side for me with the broiler on medium).

Oven Fried Fish Fingers
Boneless white fish filets (I used cod), cut into bite-sized pieces and patted dry
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp Old Bay seasoning
olive oil, salt, and pepper

Prepare your 3 dipping stations: Flour on one plate, eggs whisked on another, and panko and Old Bay on the last one. Season each station with salt and pepper.

Coat your fish fingers first in flour, then egg, then panko and line on a baking sheet.

Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes or until done.

ONE YEAR AGO: Olive Oil Granola (I make this about every other week and it's still the best granola I've ever had!)

No comments:

Post a Comment