Saturday, October 31, 2009

Olive Oil Granola

I wasn't going to post this recipe or photo because I've already shown you a granola recipe before - that one was chocolate granola that ends up in big chunks. It's crunchy and super delicious.

But this granola is totally different. It doesn't clump together but ends up spoonable, like cereal. And it has such a deep, rich flavor from the olive oil...it's addicting for sure. The recipe originally appeared in the New York Times this summer and ALL the blogs were making it. Well, now I'm firmly on the bandwagon and this is my new go-to granola recipe. The only thing I would change next time is reducing the amount of brown sugar - I think it could handle a little less sweetness.


Olive Oil Granola
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cup nuts, any kind (I used peanuts, raw almonds, and marcona almonds)
1 cup seeds (I used pumpkin and sunflower seeds)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup brown sugar (or less to taste)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries

Mix all ingredients - except cranberries - together and spread on sheet pans. Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from oven and add cranberries.

Serve with yogurt, berries, ice cream, milk, or on its own!

UPDATED 2/4/12:  Wow, it's been a few years since I first tried this recipe but I still make this granola once or twice a month, it's really that good.  However, now I reduce the brown sugar to 1/4 cup, and the maple syrup to 1/2 cup.  I've also swapped the olive oil for melted coconut oil with excellent results!

No comments:

Post a Comment