Sunday, October 11, 2009

Squash Soup with Mushroom/Kale Ravioli

This is about as fancy as I get. It's the kind of thing I can make on a Sunday when I've got time to kill but I understand that most people won't make this recipe because it does have a lot of steps. I'm going to share it anyways!

My mom gave me some buttercup squash - the really sweet kind - from bluebird gardens in Fergus Falls. I knew it was destined to be soup but I just wasn't sure what kind. I don't often like to eat pureed soups since I still have all my teeth and I'm able to chew, so I knew something had to go in the soup. I made "ravioli" or more accurately, potstickers, out of wonton wrappers filled with crimini mushrooms and kale and boiled them in the soup. The result was a very earthy, hearty, colorful, and INCREDIBLY healthy sunday supper.


First, I cut open the squash and removed the seeds. Put the squash on a sheet pan with onions and carrots - cover with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 325 degrees for 1 hour. I went for a great walk around Lake Hiawatha in the crisp fall air and looked at the changing leaves while my veggies roasted.


When the veggies have cooled, scoop out the squash "meat" and put in your food processor with the onions and carrots. Pulse to start the puree, then add water (about 2 cups) to get it nice and smooth. Then you put this yummy squash puree in a soup pot over low heat and add 1 carton of vegetable stock, salt and pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The nutmeg and cinnamon don't make the soup sweet, but they do add a depth of flavor that is needed. The soup is essentially done at this point - and you could add store bought tortellini or ravioli and it would be great. But I went for the homemade potstickers.

You can use this method to make any kind of faux ravioli or asian potstickers. First, clean out your food processor and add some kale, 1 package of crimini mushrooms, a clove of garlic, and some yellow onion. Pulse to combine and add mixture to a skillet to saute with some salt and pepper.


Take your wonton wrappers and lay a few out. Add a teaspoon of filling to the middle. Use your finger with some warm water to wet each side of the wrapper. Fold in half (in a triangle). Then fold each corner in to make a little envelope.




You can freeze leftover potstickers on a plate, and once frozen put in a ziploc storage bag and they'll be easy to use later! Turn up the heat on your soup so it is nearly boiling, add a handful of your ravioli and let cook for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through.


Ladle into a bowl and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!


Squash Soup with Mushroom/Kale Ravioli
1 buttercup squash, cut, seeds removed
2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 yellow onion, cut into chunks
2 cups water
4 cups vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
pinch of cinnamon

Roast the veggies with olive oil, salt, and pepper until done. Puree in food processor. Add to soup pot with water and stock and seasonings and cook over low heat until hot.

1 package crimini mushrooms, cleaned
1 big handful kale, removed from stems and chopped
1/4 yellow onion
1 clove garlic

Mix all together in food processor. Cook in skillet for 5-8 minutes with salt and pepper.

Assemble raviolis with wonton wrappers and warm water to seal. Boil raviolis in soup until done. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment