Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sweet Potato and Kale Soup

This is my absolute favorite way to cook. No recipe to follow - complete improvisation.

I came home from work on a cold Thursday through a complete downpour with the biggest urge for soup. Here's the fun part - I actually had all the ingredients on hand to make an incredibly colorful, healthy, and delicious soup.


For some strange reason, I bought 1 big sweet potato a few days ago because it looked so inviting. Not something I usually pick up, but it was calling to me. Also, I had some free kale that Ang had brought me from her garden.

Excuse my tangent here, but I talk about kale all the time on this blog but I wonder how many of you actually eat it? I probably would never have tried it if Cass hadn't shown me how yummy it can be. I always thought of kale as the gross plasticky stuff you see in the buffet line in between containers of salad fixins. Holy cow, I was so wrong. If you cook kale, it is so delicious and has a fabulous texture that makes you feel like you're eating something substantial. Plus, you can eat it alone as a side dish, or add it to soup and frittatas for an extra boost of nutrition. Kale pairs so perfectly with eggs and fish. Next time you're at the store, I challenge you to take a chance on some kale.


Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
1 yellow onion, diced finely
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced finely
2 carrots, peeled and diced finely
1 large clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper
4-6 cups stock (or water and bouillon cubes)
1 can white beans, drained
1 big bunch kale, chopped into small pieces

Heat some olive oil in a big soup pot and add the onion, sweet potato, carrots, garlic, and salt and pepper. Cook until veggies are soft. Add your stock and bring to a boil. Add kale and beans, cover and cook until kale has wilted.

To serve, ladle into a bowl and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and another drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy with grilled bread and red wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment