Monday, September 28, 2009

Roasted Corn Pudding in Acorn Squash

I can't take any credit for this blog post as I completely ripped it off from 101 Cookbooks (see the recipe and more pictures here).

But as soon as I saw the title and photo I knew I was going to try making it myself. Because is there anything that screams "fall" more than squash? OK, other than football, chili, apple crisp, scarves, and crunchy leaves? Didn't think so.

The recipe is VERY easy, but it takes a lot of time. First, you have to bake your squash for 30-40 minutes to start to bake it, then you add a corn/milk/egg mixture and bake for another 30 minutes. So if you are very hungry, this is probably not the recipe you want to start right now. However, if you have about 90 minutes, you too can sit down in front of this gorgeous plate of autumn goodness.



The recipe can be found at the link above. I didn't have anise seed so I skipped that part and I would recommend adding more salt than the recipe calls for. Other than that, it's a straightforward and simple recipe. I had a lot of corn filling left over after filling my 2 squash halves so I filled up 3 greased ramekins (the kind I use for chocolate lava cakes). Oh wait - you may not know about my chocolate lava cakes quite yet....that post will be coming soon, I promise!

I enjoyed my beautiful squash dish with some simple steamed kale - shallot and garlic sauteed in olive oil, add kale and 1/4 cup water and cover and cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Add a splash of fresh lemon juice, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment