Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Tomato and Corn Pie

I've been waiting weeks to make this recipe, but it's just been too hot. And, even though it was still 75 degrees and humid today I threw caution to the wind and cranked up the oven. Because I have read about tomato and corn pie on just about every food blog out there this summer. Don't believe me? Here are just a couple of blog posts that have been taunting me with this recipe in recent weeks:
Obviously, the tomatoes ripen sooner in whichever state these blog writers live, so I've had to wait patiently until the bounty started rolling in Minneapolis. Today was finally the day that I got to make this recipe and I've been looking forward to it all day long. My favorite blog lately is Smitten Kitchen so I used her recipe nearly exactly (my only substitution was using whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose).

I'm not gonna lie, this is a putzy recipe that I will probably never make again. As you've been able to tell from prior posts, I like simple and quick meals. There were lots of steps involved in this pie - they're not difficult steps, but they take time. I'm just not that excited about making dough - unless it's a simple kind you can use a hand mixer for (like for popovers or profiteroles). That being said, this dough had only a couple ingredients and came together pretty simply.

The fun part is layering all the ingredients in the pie crust.


Here is what the pie looked like after being removed from the oven, all nice and golden:




And a lovely slice ready to be eaten!

I've read that this tastes even better room temperature or cold so leftovers should be perfect for lunch tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment