Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Heirloom Tomato Pizza

Okay, while this will not win me any awards for creativity, it looked pretty and tasted good so I deem it worthy of a blog post. In addition, it took about 20 minutes from start to finish so it's pretty convenient on a beautiful September weeknight after a killer walk with some good (and hungry) friends.

I bought a variety of heirloom tomatoes in red, green, and gold, sliced them thin and layered them on a wheat pizza crust coated with freshly made basil pesto (see previous post for pesto recipe).


Then top it with thin sliced fresh mozzarella, grated parmesan, salt and pepper. I always add crushed red pepper flakes when the pizza is piping hot from the oven.


Heirloom Tomato Pizza
whole wheat boboli pizza crust (or make your own if you have time and energy)
homemade or store bought basil pesto
heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
grated parmesan
salt and pepper

Spread the pesto on the crust, top with tomatoes and cheese, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 10 minutes or until crust is crisp and cheese is melted. Serve with a field green salad lightly dressed with balsamic vinaigrette, and white wine.

3 comments:

  1. looks lovely my love but couldn't stop thinking of how I wished you were were w/ me at dinner tongight as I seriously ate the best dinner (ok was that after the best lunch?) of my life on floral plates and and flutes of chamagne chosen by ducasse himself followed by cups of espresso in the tinyest florl cups and madelins in a pan spread on my table allowing me to fill myself until I could no longer bear it..... all the while thinking OH if only my friend was here to giggle and enjoy the extravagence w/ me! SI BON MI AMOUR SI BON! next time we will toast together! my last champagne kiss from france!!! AU REVIOR!!!!! XOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXOX!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear! just read this - PLEASE forgive the misspellings I cannot explain the beautiful amount of champagne that I have had on this trip - OH YES! and don't let me lie I am ALWAYS a terrible speller - never was or will be my forte! More XX'SSS!!!!

    Two weeks darling two weeks!

    ReplyDelete