Saturday, September 19, 2009

Huevos Rancheros and Pico de Gallo

Woot! This is my 100th post! I'm super proud to have posted pretty regularly for 9 months and I've got a renewed energy to keep on posting. Today I stocked up on tomatoes at the farmer's market and I have a few recipes up my sleeve that I'll hopefully share soon!

In the meantime, I have 2 recipes to share. The first is a basic pico de gallo, aka salsa fresca. This is one of my favorite condiments! The original recipe I'm sure is 1,000 years old but I found instructions on Smitten Kitchen. And you can swap out the tomatoes for any other fruit such as mango, peach, or pineapple for a fantastic accompaniment for fish. The recipe below can be done by dicing or mincing the ingredients finely - or, if you are lazy feel free to throw everything in a food processor and pulse until chopped.

Pico de Gallo (aka Salsa Fresca)
Tomatoes
Red onion
Jalapeno (I used 1 regular jalapeno and 1 serrano)
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 tsp salt
Big handful fresh cilantro
Optional - fresh sweet corn cut from cob

Once you have your pico ready to go, you can work on the rest of the Huevos Rancheros. I used the recipe from (again!) Smitten Kitchen and loved it. The next time I make this, I will poach or fry the egg separately and char the tortilla over an open flame, rather than mess with the skillet and the egg flip - which I am not skilled at.


Huevos Rancheros
Corn tortillas
Cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg
black beans
pico de gallo (aka salsa fresca)

Follow the instructions on the Smitten Kitchen site to cook the tortilla, add cheese and egg. Flip once and make sure yolk is still runny. Serve with beans and pico de gallo.

No comments:

Post a Comment