Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Miso Soup

I hope you all are having an amazing holiday season - eating good foods, drinking tasty drinks, and sharing time with family and friends. That's really what it's all about!

I sadly didn't get to enjoy the seafood lasagna my mom made for Christmas Day because I came down with a touch of a stomach bug. Instead I had a saltine cracker and a few bites of oatmeal. Not fun. As I ease back into real food, I thought miso soup would be a good way to go.


I bought a tub of miso paste at United Noodles a few months ago. It's a good investment because it will last FOREVER in your fridge, and Wikipedia says it's high in protein, and rich in vitamins and minerals.

Anyways, I wasn't even going to post this because it's such a non-recipe. BUT then I read the lid of the miso paste container and I deemed it too hilarious to not post. Read the first line of instructions carefully.


I'm not trying to make fun of other cultures or anything, but COME ON! If I was going to sell a product in another country I would at the very least have my product packaging proofread by a native speaker! This is just lazy marketing!

But it did give me a good laugh - now all I can think about is the scene in A Christmas Story where they're at the Chinese restaurant and the waiters are singing "Deck the harrs with bars of horry. Fa ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra." Ah, good stuff.

So this miso soup was nice and gentle on my stomach, with enough flavor to satisfy me. I didn't have tofu or seaweed but I did have carrots, mushrooms, edamame beans, and chopped baby lettuce greens. I added some toasted sesame oil at the end because...well, because toasted sesame oil just makes everything taste better!


Miso Soup
3 cups water
1 large carrot, grated
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 Tbsp miso paste
1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame beans
handful chopped greens (like spinach, arugula, or other leafy greens)
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

Heat water in a small pot over medium high heat with carrots and mushrooms. Bring to a boil and cook until carrots and mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes. Lower heat to medium, add miso paste and edamame and stir gentry. Let it all heat together for a couple minutes.

Remove from heat and add greens and sesame oil. Serve immediately.

ONE YEAR AGO: Christmas Colors Casserole (I know it's a stupid name and the photos suck, but this dish tasted awesome. I'll be making it again soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment