Sunday, December 12, 2010

Mixed Vegetable Hash

A couple of angels on my block named Joe and Gary saved the day (and my biceps) by snowblowing behind my garage. They would have done all my sidewalks, too, but I had already done it. Amazing, friendly, wonderful neighbors. I'm so lucky.

They say it's bitterly cold today, and it is. However, it's beautiful too! The sun is shining and neighbors are helping each other up and down the street. It warms my cold, cold heart! It's official - I'm now in the Christmas spirit!

I am also in the midst of an egg-stravaganza it seems. I can't get enough incredible, edible eggs in my system this weekend! I put this morning's egg on top of the prettiest breakfast I've ever enjoyed! All it took was a carrot, a parsnip, a handful of Brussels sprouts, a half potato, and a quarter of an onion.


I seriously thought I was making a single portion. Oops, actually I got a huge bowl of shredded vegetables after a quick pass through my food processor that I'm certain would feed four. Then I simply fried some of them up in a non-stick skillet with olive oil, salt, and pepper.


Once the veggies get some color on them, flip and shape into a nice round form. Once they're all cooked down and browned, they will slide right out of your pan ready for your egg.


To all my fellow Twin Citians, I hope you have neighbors as wonderful as mine. Enjoy the beautiful weather today but stay warm and cozy if possible!


Mixed Vegetable Hash, makes 4 servings
1 carrot
1 parsnip
1 cup Brussels sprouts
1/2 russet potato
1/4 yellow onion
olive oil, salt, pepper to taste
eggs

Feed all your vegetables through the grater attachment on your food processor. Alternatively, you could use a box grater, or the julienne blade on a mandoline, or just chop finely.

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add a couple big handsful of your grated veggies to the skillet and push down with a spatula. Sprinkle the top with salt, pepper, and drizzle more olive oil over.

Let cook 2-3 minutes or until veggies start to brown. Flip as best you can and cook the other side. Keep using spatula to press veggies down and into a round shape. Slide onto a plate and top with eggs cooked to your preference.

1 comment:

  1. looks and sounds delicious! I should remember to add more veggies to my hash browns next time.

    ReplyDelete