Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sunny Side Up Pizza

I needed this super filling, protein-packed pizza today in order to shovel the 16+ inches of snow that is trying to bury me. I was going to call this Breakfast Pizza but that's silly since I actually ate it for lunch and wouldn't hesitate to make it for dinner either.

I happened to have some leftover sauteed balsamic kale in the fridge from making my favorite meal ever, and I figured it would be fun to make that meal into a pizza. It worked beautifully!


In theory, you could make your own pizza dough, but I'm lazy today and just used a whole wheat pita as my crust. I started my pizza with the pita drenched in olive oil, garlic, fresh chopped rosemary, salt, and pepper.


Then I layered on the sauteed kale (you could substitute mushrooms, bacon, or any other breakfast meats or veggies you like) and some sliced cherry tomatoes. Some grated cheese is crucial for this pizza, and I used a delicious cave aged gruyere and also a little parmesan.


Crack your egg into the center (you could use scrambled eggs if runny yolks aren't your thing) and bake. The yolk becomes a rich sauce for the pizza when you cut into it.


This was definitely muscle-building food, which was needed for the first round of shoveling! Now it's couch potato time as I build up motivation for round two!


Sunny Side Up Pizza
1 whole wheat pita (or homemade pizza dough)
olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 sprig rosemary, chopped
salt and pepper
sauteed kale and onions with balsamic vinegar (or cooked bacon, sauteed mushrooms, etc)
sliced grape tomatoes
grated cheese
1 egg

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Assemble pizza according to your tastes. Crack an egg into the center. Bake for 12 minutes or until egg white is set and yolk is still runny.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I want this right now! Too bad I don't have any pizza dough. I'll have to save it for a quick meal next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I had eggs today, too -- nasty weather calls for filling food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comments, ladies! Stay safe out there in this crazy storm! :)

    ReplyDelete