Wednesday, January 7, 2009

First Post - Kale and Egg on Toast

January 7, 2009.

Yes, way behind the times to start blogging. I know. But I don't care because nobody is supposed to see this but me. This is going to be my personal reminder to make delicious, lean meals and be more eco-friendly in 2009.


For someone who professes to never make New Year's Resolutions, this seems suspiciously like a way to keep resolutions...hhhmmmm.

But, I'm also going to try to keep a record of favorite recipes I make so I can go back some day and make them again when inspiration is needed.

So, let's start the first post with my new all-time favorite recipe - sauteed kale on toast with a poached egg.

My friend Cassandra taught me how to make this. I thought she had made the recipe up - but then I saw it on the Orangette blog (highly recommended). The key to the greatness of this dish is the Tuscan (or Dinosaur) Kale. Here's how I made it.

Egg, Kale, and Toast
Tuscan kale
chopped white onion
kosher salt
freshly cracked black pepper
fresh grated nutmeg
balsamic vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil

Saute the kale, onion, salt, pepper, and nutmeg together in a skillet with olive oil for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add balsamic vinegar and cook for another minute or two until delicious.

Serve over a piece of good grilled bread (or toast) and top with a poached egg.
Sometimes I add vegetarian sausage to the kale and top the whole shebang with some fresh grated Parm.

Goes great with either red or white wine, followed up with a square of good quality dark chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment