Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Homemade Christmas Ornaments

If you're like me, you drink a lot of wine - red, white, sparkling, and everything in-between. And after drinking said wine, you end up with a lot of leftover wine corks. Does anyone else feel guilty throwing the corks away? I don't know why, but it just seems wasteful! So, I've been saving them up over the past few months and now I have so many I'm not sure what to do with them. Especially with the really cool ones that I either got at a special winery or just had a cool picture or saying on it.


So, I decided to make Christmas Tree Ornaments and give them away to all my friends this year for gifts.


Here's how you do it: go to a hardware store and buy some small "screw eyes." The friendly people at Hudson Hardware store on 42nd St and 28th Ave in South Mpls helped me in about 2 seconds. Screw the eyes into your prettiest cork. Wrap an ornament hook onto the screw eye (you can find the hooks at Target for not much $). Add a red, white, and/or green bow and PRESTO! You have a unique and personal Christmas gift for the wine lovers in your life!


These are 3 of my favorites. From L to R: from a bottle of French wine my friends and neighbors Marney and Colin brought over for dinner one night (Colin's sister had brought them the wine from France, where she lives), from my favorite winery in California that I visited with my friends Cass and Lindsey - Sunce, and finally a cork from Vintner's Cellar in downtown Fargo, ND where I went with my mom as we were researching a wine tour business that my dad may start this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment