Sunday, January 9, 2011

White Pizza with Greens

As usual, I'm the one doing opposite what everyone else is doing. I know this is the traditional "healthy" eating time for all of those who've made new year's resolutions. Food Network this weekend is full of shows (even Paul Deen y'all!) featuring healthy recipes because many of us have gorged ourselves in the past two months.

Since my Christmas Day was squandered on the couch with the flu, I certainly didn't overindulge this holiday season. So now, instead of getting on the steamed veggie and salad bus, I'm cruising down the road to pizza town.


Specifically, pizza with lots of cheese. At least 3 kinds of cheese. Ooey, gooey, creamy, salty, melty, rich cheese. My pizza base was a piece of naan - soft Indian flatbread, similar to pita only softer.


Cheese number one is a fresh ricotta spiced with garlic, salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and crushed red pepper.


Then I layered on a whole bunch of shredded provolone cheese (although any Italian melting cheese would work, especially fontina or mozzarella) and finely grated parmigiano reggiano.


All that rich cheese needed a contrasting texture and flavor to make the perfect meal so I topped my pizza with some basic greens simply dressed in a lemon juice and olive oil vinaigrette.


It tasted as good as it looks! And while it's not as light as steamed veggies with poached fish, I still think it's healthy. Plus, who likes eating so extreme - stuffing yourself one day, then depriving yourself the next? Not me. I prefer to eat healthy and well-balanced food year round!


White Pizza with Greens
Pizza Crust (homemade, store bought, or pita or naan)
1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1 garlic clove, minced
a pinch each of salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper
1/2 cup shredded Italian melting cheese such as provolone, fontina, or mozzarella
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups leafy greens
2 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees, or as hot as it gets.

In a small bowl, mix your ricotta, garlic, salt, pepper, and crushed red together. Spread a thin layer of this mixture on your pizza crust. Top with your other 2 cheeses.

Bake 5 minutes or until edges of crust get darkened, then transfer to broiler until cheese is perfectly melted and bubbly and brown.

Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper (or shake in a mason jar). Drizzle over greens until just moistened.

Top hot pizza with greens and eat immediately with a glass of wine.


1 comment:

  1. OMG, me too! I was super sick over Christmas, and every time I turn around, I hear about someone else who had probably the same virus. It sucked! I'm all for pizza and junk food now, too -- I think it's the cold, making me want more more more!

    ReplyDelete