Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

I've had the idea for this dish in my brain for months and months. I don't know why I kept putting it off. Even after I made my grocery list with the proper ingredients, I waited a few weeks to buy the stuff. Then after my fridge and pantry were stocked with the right ingredients, I waited until my sweet potatoes almost started sprouting before I finally forced myself to make it.


Actually, I do know why I was putting this off. It's because it feels like holiday food. Hot and mushy and rich. But I'm very glad I made it because it was very tasty, and loaded with nutrition!


A shepherd's pie is some type of meat and/or veggies in a gravy-type sauce topped with some mashed potatoes and all baked together. Each Thanksgiving, we make amazing leftover shepherd's pies with our extra turkey, gravy, and potatoes.


This version of a shepherd's pie is much healthier sans crust, but with a mountain of cremini mushrooms, kale, a creamy yogurt gravy, and topped with beautiful bright orange sweet potatoes.

It was super flavorful and made an amazing dinner and an even more impressive workday lunch the next day. But it definitely needs a piece of crusty artisan bread slathered with butter to provide that contrast in textures to make a complete meal.


Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 yellow onion, diced
2 packages crimini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 bunch Tuscan kale, washed and stems removed and chopped
2 heaping Tbsp AP flour
1.5 cups vegetable stock
1/3 cup plain, full fat, greek yogurt
salt, pepper, and olive oil

Place sweet potato cubes in cold water in medium pot over high heat. Bring to boil, add salt, and cook until soft. Drain, season with salt and 1 Tbsp butter, and mash. Set aside.

In large skillet over medium-high heat, saute onion in olive oil until soft. Add mushrooms and cook until brown. Add kale, salt, and pepper.

Sprinkle flour over veggies and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add in vegetable stock and boil until thickened. Add yogurt and remove from heat.

Pour veggies and gravy into an oven safe dish. Top with mashed sweet potatoes. Broil briefly until potatoes are slightly charred.


No comments:

Post a Comment