Sunday, April 3, 2011

Maple-Glazed Salmon over Quinoa

I can't shut up about Green and Lean Smoothies. I tell everyone how great they are all the time. I am sure it's sickening. But I can't help it - when I decide I like something, I really like it (see: kale).

Well, a great co-worker started teasing me about bringing in a green smoothie to work for people to try. So last Thursday morning as I was blending up my smoothie, I made a little extra one and brought it to her. She liked it! And, as a trade, the next day she brought me 2 jars of HOMEMADE maple syrup. The bigger jar is less concentrated (for cooking, she says), and the smaller jar is more traditional syrup for pancakes, waffles, etc. The colors are so beautiful!


Clearly, this trade was lopsided. I realize that, by far, I got the better end of this deal! But I'm not looking back. I took that syrup and ran home to use it asap! First, I whipped up a big batch of Sweet and Spicy Roasted Nuts with maple syrup instead of honey. These are so addictive.

Then, after snacking on those nuts, I needed some dinner. I made a simple marinade for a beautiful piece of Coastal Seafood's salmon out of the maple syrup and added some pineapple, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger.


After marinating for a bit, I grilled the salmon in my grill pan and reduced the leftover marinade in a small saucepan to make it into a glaze. The grilled sweet and savory salmon was served over some simple quinoa (cooked in vegetable broth) with added red bell pepper, scallions, edamame, and more of the crushed pineapple.




This dinner was super spring-like, light, refreshing, sweet and savory, and delicious. Thank you for the maple syrup, Cindy!


Maple-Glazed Salmon over Quinoa
Serves 4 (easily halved to make 2 servings)

4 salmon filets or steaks
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp crushed pineapple (or other citrus juice like orange or lemon juice)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp grated ginger
2 gloves garlic, minced
1 cup quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1 cup shelled edamame beans
3 scallions, chopped
1/2 cup crushed pineapple (or diced)
salt and pepper to taste

First make your marinade. In a small bowl or large ziploc bag, mix together maple syrup, pineapple, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic. Add salmon to coat and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.

While salmon is marinating, bring your vegetable broth and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. When it comes to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until broth is absorbed. Add your bell pepper, edamame, pineapple, and scallion.

Heat a grill, grill pan, or broiler. Remove salmon from marinade and grill 5 minutes on one side, flip and grill 3 minutes on the other side.

While salmon is grilling, bring leftover marinade to a boil in a small saucepan to make a glaze.

Serve grilled salmon over quinoa and top with glaze.

TWO YEARS AGO: Springtime Stir-Fry

4 comments:

  1. The flavors in this dish sound fantastic! I would be all over either the hash or salmon alone… but pair them together, and you've got a fabulous meal =).

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i use just advanced excellent merchandise -- you will see him or her with: Australian shepherd for adoption

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome and interesting article. Great things you've always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post. buy vietnamese food singapore

    ReplyDelete