Sunday, April 5, 2009

Springtime Stir Fry

Red..orange...yellow...green...I think I got all the (important) colors of the rainbow in this beautiful stir fry. Except blue, since I don't think blue vegetables exist. If I liked eggplant, I could have added that, I guess. Anyways, I was craving tofu and springtime today so I tried to combine them in this dish.


Now, I have tried cooking with tofu many, many times before and I have always been unsuccessful. I had given up, until I heard that tofu should be either baked or pan-fried in a non-stick skillet (which I had never tried). So I had 2 packages of tofu and I tried cooking it both ways. I pressed out the moisture and cubed the tofu. Half went into a skillet over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp oil. The other half went on a cookie sheet and into a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. The pan-fried tofu turned out great - the baked version stuck to the cookie sheet. However, the tops were nice and brown, so next time I'll try the baked version on parchment or foil because I'd really like to eliminate the oil if possible.

Then I used my wok to stir-fry on high heat the following: onion, red/yellow/orange peppers, leeks, asparagus, and sugar snap peas. When the veggies are crisp-tender, splash in some soy sauce or tamari, veggie stock, and sriracha sauce.

I know stir fry is typically served over rice, but I'm way too impatient to cook rice for 45 minutes, and it usually sticks to the pot anyways, and I honestly don't even like rice that much. So, in a flash of genius I chopped up some cabbage and scooped the yummy veggies over the crispy crunchy light green cabbage. So it was almost like a stir fry salad. Tasted great and the leftovers will make fabulous and healthy lunches this week!


Springtime Stir Fry
Baked or pan-fried cubes of tofu
Sliced red, yellow, and orange peppers
Sliced yellow onion
Sliced and rinsed leeks
Asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
Sugar Snap Peas
2 Tbsp Soy sauce (or tamari)
1 Tbsp Sriracha sauce ("The Rooster")
1/2 cup Vegetable stock (approx)

In a wok, stir fry the veggies in 1 Tbsp vegetable oil on high heat until crisp-tender (approx 6-8 minutes). Add the soy, sriracha, and stock and cook for another minute. Add the tofu back into the mixture. Serve over rice or cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment