Thursday, April 9, 2009

Faux Frisee aux Lardon

This post is not as pretentious as the title suggests (I hope). While we were in NYC, Katie told me about a salad with frisee and a poached egg. Then, it was on the menu at Zucco's Le French Diner. I have not been able to stop thinking about it since.


After some research, I discovered that this is a French salad made with frisee lettuce - the light green pretty lettuce that looks like lace and is also called French chicory - and a warm bacon dressing. That's trouble, since frisee is my least favorite lettuce and I don't like bacon. But do you think that would stop me?? Hardly!


After some substitutions, I ended up with a version I call Faux Frisee aux Lardon.



Faux Frisee aux Lardon
Field greens
Morningstar Farms Vegetarian Bacon
Button mushrooms
Shallot
Red wine vinegar
Poached egg


1. Cut the veggie bacon into small pieces and brown in a skillet with some olive oil. Add chopped mushrooms and brown them as well. Add diced shallot and cook until soft. Remove skillet from heat and add 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar


2. While your bacon and mushrooms are browning, poach an egg


3. Pour bacon/mushroom dressing over field greens, top with poached egg, and sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.


I really liked this salad, however; it's not appropriate for spring. It would be much more satisfying to eat a hearty salad with a warm dressing in the fall or winter. Good thing I have this blog to remind me of this in about 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment