Friday, September 30, 2011

3-Course French Dinner for 4 People Under $20

I don't like using my blog for any type of advertising or stuff like that. But this is too good to pass up.

I recently was alerted to a local contest called "Plenty for Twenty" in which you buy fresh ingredients from a local grocery chain (Cub Foods) for less than $20 and make something delicious and creative.

Well, with the help of my wonderful friends Marney Olson, and her husband Colin Farbotko, I made a video and entered the contest.

And, lo and behold, I'm a finalist for the GRAND PRIZE, which is a year's worth of free groceries. Imagine the amazing blog entries that you'll see here if I win!!!! I will need the public's help to win, as all voting is done on Facebook.

If you're a Facebook person and you want to vote for me, just search for Cub Foods in Facebook and click on the "Plenty for Twenty" link at the left. You'll have to "like" Cub Foods before you can vote, but you can always "unlike" them later. Vote once per day between September 30 - October 7, 2011. The winner will be announced October 14, 2011.

If you don't want to bother voting, that's OK. As a reader of my blog, you get special perks and I will share my video with you right here!

And, as a special BLOG-ONLY bonus, you lovely readers get to view my blooper reel.

If you're interested in any of the recipes featured in the video, see below!

Mushroom Pate
Serves at least 4 as an appetizer

1 package button or crimini mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped
1 medium union, roughly chopped
olive oil, salt, pepper
french baguette

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Arrange your mushrooms and onion on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 20 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven and puree in food processor, you may need to add more olive oil to get the right consistency.

Serve with crostini (sliced baguette)

Spinach and Cheddar Souffle
Serves 4

Don't follow my video instructions. Follow this recipe instead, it's much better.

Chocolate Souffle
Serves at least 4, probably 8

I used this Mark Bittman recipe in the video. But if I were you, I'd make Chocolate Lava Cakes instead. They're much better, plus you can make the batter days in advance.

Have a nice day!
Ali

2 comments:

  1. This is soooooo exciting!! I don't have a Facebook page, so I can't vote for you. I love it though!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was awesome I can't wait to try the recipes! Did you win? Sorry i would have voted for you but just found you today haha!

    ReplyDelete