Sunday, September 4, 2011

Chunky Apple Muffins

This morning, there was a crispness in the air that reminds me that it's already September. I love September. It's my birthday month and it reminds me of new notebooks, sharp pencils, day planners, new clothes, and fresh beginnings.


With as much whining as I've been doing about summer coming to an end, I was surprised at how welcome today's cool breeze was. There's probably nothing that goes better with the first whiff of autumn than something appley, cinnamony, sweet, and warm with your hot black coffee on a cool September morning.


I had these delicious local state fair apples that were starting to get a little soft and it seemed like a brilliant idea to whip them up into muffins. I used about 5 times more apples than the original recipe called for, and I left all the skins on.




There actually were a few too many apples because some of the muffins had difficulty staying together, but I didn't care. I wanted to be punched in the face with apple flavor, so I deliberately altered the ratio of fruit to batter to heavily favor the apples. Best punch in the face I've ever received.


Apple Muffins, barely adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Makes 15-18 muffins

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk or yogurt
2-4 cups diced apple chunks
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
more brown sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a medium bowl, whisk together your flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and cinnamon.

In a large bowl, cream together your butter and two sugars, then beat in egg. Gently stir in buttermilk or yogurt (it may curdle if you use buttermilk and stir vigorously but that is OK). Slowly stir in the dry ingredients a little bit at a time. The mixture will be very thick and dry, but will loosen up after adding the apples.

Fold in your apple chunks and walnuts. Spoon into greased muffin pan and top with a sprinkle of brown sugar. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffins emerges clean.

ONE YEAR AGO: Chicken Fajitas
TWO YEARS AGO: Heirloom Tomato Pizza

2 comments:

  1. well to soften that punch sending you apple kisses from the BIG APPLE XOXO! Can't wait for it to cool down enough here to do some baking myself! SMOOCH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo . . . I totally should have made apple muffins this past weekend. What was I thinking???? (That I didn't want to elbow my way through the giant, loud, crazy crowd in front of the apple people at the farmer's market? Yup. You're right.) :)

    ReplyDelete