Saturday, November 5, 2011

Chard and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken

Last weekend was the last hurrah for local farmer's markets. I went to Kingfield on Sunday to stock up, and tonight I wanted to stuff everything I got from the market into a meal fit for entertaining.

I got three bunches of rainbow chard at the market. I couldn't find my favorite green veggie, kale, so I settled for the chard instead. If chard and kale were sisters, kale would be the interesting but ugly older sister, and chard would be the boring yet beautiful younger sister.

Rainbow chard really is gorgeous, but I don't think it has as deep and rich a flavor, nor as chewy and substantial texture as kale. Nevertheless, it's green and good for you so I mixed it with sauteed onion and artichokes and stuffed it in some chicken breasts with goat cheese.


Then I used an orange squash (I think it was an ambercup variety) for a salad. Remember back in school when you learned about how the Native Americans used the whole buffalo and nothing went to waste? That's how I felt about this squash. I roasted up the flesh for my salad, then picked the seeds out of the goop and toasted them up with salt and cayenne pepper to top my salad. Pomegranate seeds, more goat cheese, and a balsamic vinaigrette rounded out this pretty little salad.


I got so distracted by hosting dinner that I forgot to photograph the chicken right out of the oven, so this photo is when it's nearly gone. It was such a classy meal to serve to company. It was easy to make, too. Best of all, it tasted great.


Chard and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Serves 4

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 medium onion, diced fine
1 bunch rainbow chard or kale, stems discarded and leaves chopped
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
4 Tbsp fresh goat cheese, crumbled
salt and pepper

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and lightly oil a casserole dish.

In a medium skillet over medium high heat, sweat your onion in a couple Tbsp olive oil or butter for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add chopped chard or kale and stir. Add balsamic vinegar and a splash of water. Let cook until chard is wilted and soft. Add chopped artichokes and stir to heat through, then remove from heat.

Use a sharp knife to split your chicken breasts open. Lightly coat all over with olive oil and season all over with salt and pepper. Place in casserole dish.

Put 1 Tbsp crumbled goat cheese inside each split chicken breast, then add the chard/artichoke mixture. Bake 18-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.


1 comment:

  1. pretty fancy! ;)

    Love the pomegranate seeds in the salad, too! Yum. I better get to cracking open my pomegranate today!

    ReplyDelete