Friday, October 28, 2011

Buffalo Tofu Sandwich

Back in the day, I was quite the young happy hour aficionado. I could tell you who had the longest 2-for-1 deals, where you should go for $3 martinis, and most importantly, who had the best discounted happy hour food.

I was shameless in my love of bar food, and I was significantly overweight as a result (shocking, I know). Now if I go to a bar and eat all that crap, I pay for it with a stomachache for two days afterwards. Clearly, my habits have changed. But, my love of bar food remains, just in a different way.


This is bar food done right. Tofu (or chicken) broiled with Frank's Red Hot Sauce until it's chewy on the outside and still creamy in the middle. Tossed with more hot sauce. Layered on some great bakery bread with crisp lettuce and a homemade bleu cheese and yogurt dressing. Served with extra hot sauce.

Regarding the Frank's: I know I preach about not using packaged foods and this seems to contradict that. I'm sure you could make your own hot sauce - by all means, knock yourself out and make your own if you feel the need to do so. I didn't because the ingredient list was pretty short - cayenne peppers and vinegar mostly. And I didn't think a homemade version would quite capture the Franky buffalo-ness I wanted here.


So, here's to a happier happy hour with healthy food that won't make you feel like a grease bomb for the next 12 hours. It's also brilliant orange, which makes it a festive thing to eat in celebration of a certain spooky holiday that's lurking around the corner this weekend.


Buffalo Tofu Sandwich

1 package super firm tofu, drained/pressed if needed
Frank's Red Hot, as much as you need
1 tsp butter
1/4 cup bleu cheese crumbles
1 cup plain yogurt (greek or regular)
bread, lettuce, or other sandwich fixin's

Preheat the broiler on your oven. Slice the tofu into planks about 1/4 inch thick. If you make it too thin, it turns into tofu jerky.

Coat the tofu in hot sauce. Broil 6 minutes, flip and broil 6 minutes on the other side.

Melt butter and mix with more hot sauce (about 2 Tbsp). Pour over hot tofu and toss to coat.

Make your dressing: mix yogurt and bleu cheese and add a pinch of salt.

Serve your buffalo tofu and bleu cheese dressing on a sandwich, in a wrap, or on a salad.

ONE YEAR AGO: Welsh Rarebit
TWO YEARS AGO: Winter Hippie Chow

3 comments:

  1. I've never liked Tofu, but I'm serious when I say this is on my grocery list! What a great way to introduce a new healthy food in my diet! Golly, I love Franks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Franks is hands down the best hot sauce and their commercials, hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, why wasn't I invited for dinner??? Hm??

    ReplyDelete